Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Navarra, Party of Three

At the exact moment I type these words, 24 hours ago, I went from being merely 'Dan' to 'Daddy.'

Many people have asked for the story of how things went.  If you're into that sort of thing, here you go:

At 4:15 PM on Tuesday, December 17, I received a call from Amy while working in my office; that she thought her water just broke, and that she was worried there was a lot of blood, and that I needed to come home.  I slammed my computer shut, grabbed my Nikon, and "teleported" to my house across town.  While in the car, I called the Family Birthing Center at Memorial Hospital here in Modesto and let them know, "it was probably time!"  I then called my father, and both of my inlaws to let them know.  My mother inlaw, Kelly, was already on her way to meet Amy and I at our house.

By the way - a break in the story - Amy and I have phenomenal family, and amazing support.  What an unbelievable blessing it has already been, merely 24 hours into Levi's life!

Sure enough, when I arrived at home, the adrenaline really hit!  It was time to go!  I grabbed a quick change of clothes, and my backpack, Amy's suitcase, and off we went to the hospital.

Upon arriving, the nurse decided that Amy's bleeding was sufficient reason for her (the nurse) to not do the routine examination herself.  And so our doctor, Dr. Altman, was called in.  We have had phenomenal care from everybody at Memorial, but Dr. Altman has truly made this a positive experience for us.  The time was approximately 6:15 PM when Dr. Altman saw Amy, about 45 minutes since we arrived.  He checked her, and found additional bleeding.  At this point, Amy had lost a significant amount of blood.  Dr. Altman did a sonogram and assured us that baby Levi was in tip top condition and healthy as he could be.  His heart rate was stable, and his responsiveness was solid.

However, Amy's placenta had abrupted (or, ripped itself off) from her uterus wall, and had slipped down, making it difficult to anticipate a vaginal birth in Dr. Altman's opinion.  She measured 1 cm at this point, and was having zero contractions, so she was not yet in labor.  Dr. Altman told us that our best, and least risky course of action was to not chance Amy losing any more blood, and for her to have an "urgent" C-Section.  Urgent C-Sections differ from "Emergency" in that the intensity and rush factor are not quite as high, however, Amy's situation was significant enough to have a few other operations that were scheduled bumped back in the line.

I was going to be permitted to be in the operating room in full scrubs as well with my camera!  I called all the parents and let them know that we were going to be having this baby in the next half an hour.  It was about 6:45 PM at this time.

At 7:25 PM, after a difficult, but successful spinal tap to numb the pain in Amy, and a couple of removed fibroids for good measure, Levi Ryan Navarra was brought into the world!

Mom and I got to visit with him briefly before all the usual procedures kicked into action.  Amy had low blood pressure, but was stabilized and cleaned up in what can only be described as a routine and successful fashion with no adverse affects.

Levi's stats:
Born 7:25 PM
Tuesday December 17, 2013
Weight: 8 lbs. 2 oz.
Length: 18.75 inches
Head Circumference: 14 cm

Mom and baby are both doing outstanding.  We cherish your prayers and well wishes as we begin our journey as a family of three! The best is yet to come!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the story Dan. That is an amazing pictures. Levi is actually smiling too! ~ Love, Cousin Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of being a parent. There are many ups an downs but it is a fun and meaningful ride. Glad everything went smoothly for Amy and Levi. Thanks for sharing your story. ~ Bianca

    ReplyDelete